Monday, December 15, 2014

Dec 15: Hearing Aid Center Visit


Reminder: This website is a demo and does not contain real information about Care is There clients or situations. Please see the About this site... page for more information. 

As per the telephone conversations with Retta, we went to the BlueRidge Otologic Center for a Lillian's hearing aid check appointment.

I picked her up at about 2:00pm and picked up the medication notebook (just in case), and made sure Lillian had her hearing aids in. Lillian was expecting me and she was essentially ready to go, just had to get her coat. We arrived at the hearing aid center and Lillian had both hearing aids checked, as well as her hearing. Her hearing has slightly declined in both ears and the technicians found a problem with the left hearing aid. The batteries on both devices were weak.

Fortunately, the left hearing aid was easy for them to repair. Lillian put it back in and said that it sounded better. No charge for that repair, as it is part of the covered service.

We sat with the technician for about 15 minutes and practiced changing the batteries. We also reviewed cleaning procedures. Lillian purchased a 3-month supply of batteries and we set up auto-delivery of batteries every 3 months. They had all of the billing information still on file. I asked for 3 copies of the printed instructions for the hearing aids - one for me, one for Lillian, and one for Retta to keep. I am thinking ahead for when Lillian stays at Retta's house for a few weeks and it would be nice to have a copy around, if any questions come up.

After the appointment we made a quick run to the grocery store to pick up milk, eggs, and orange juice. Then I drove Lillian home and we filed a copy of the instructions in our care notebook. I will scan my copy to keep with Lillian's records with Care is There. This way, I will always be able to access it from my computer or smartphone, should we need the instructions sometime we weren't expecting to.

Lillian tells me that she will spend the holidays at Retta's home with the family, and she's leaving next weekend. She will return on January 4. According to my schedule, our next visit will be January 7.

Just a reminder to Retta - don't forget to bring extra batteries for Lillian's hearing aids when you pick her up for the holidays. The 3-month supply we purchased today is stored in the kitchen, in the middle lower drawer next to the refrigerator. I will mail Retta her copy of the instructions first thing tomorrow morning.

Care is There has two helpful videos and some reading material about hearing tests and hearing aids. I recommend taking a look!


If you need me for anything over the holidays, please don't hesitate to call! I will be around and will be checking my Care is There voicemail. Happy holidays! I'm looking forward to seeing Lillian after the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment